[WikiEN-l] Re: Bot for generating articles on cities in Israel

Adam Raizen araizen at newmail.net
Wed Sep 17 03:52:07 UTC 2003

Steve Vertigum wrote:
> --- Adam Raizen <araizen at newmail.net> wrote:
>

>>Distinguishing between Jewish ethnicity, Jewish
>>religion, and who the
>>State of Israel considers as Jewish is not an easy
>>task.
>

> But it would be a good start to sort this out *before
> coming up with "statistics" wouldnt it?

The statistics already exist; I don't have the means to do my own poll.
Now it's just a question of whether to add them to Wikipedia, and if so,
in what form and with what explanation. So far, you're the only one to
object, and not on any specific reason to distrust the statistics, but
just on a general distrust of Israel. For the nth time, this will be
explained in detail in an article linked to from the bot's articles.

>>This is great. I'll be sure to include those, under
>>"External Links".
>

> Ah. Such effortless effort should be noted for its
> notability.
>
> ;)
> ~S~

What exactly are you objecting to?

 > Well your right about us getting too carried away. On
 > the other hand, your avoiding the issue --- this
 > thread was about en masse stats uploaded via a bot.

I'm not avoiding the issue. I've posted explanations of the demographic
categories in a couple of different messages, and I'll expand upon that
in the article which will be linked to from all the bot-generated
articles. If you can't find the explanations, I'll collect them and
repost them. If you have any specific objections, I'd like to hear them.
If you have any specific questions that I haven't answered, ask away.

 > Unless there is a bot to go around and correct these,
 > I think we can let my statement stand that we should
 > pinch our collective nose at the odium of smelly
 > statistics.

Of course, it will be a very simple matter to have a bot go around and
correct/update these articles, if needed (much simpler than creating the
articles in the first place). "We're" not pinching our collective nose
at anything. I think that you need a better objection than just a
general dislike for Israel.

WikiLove,
Adam Raizen