[WikiEN-l] [Wikitech-l] Re: Update to gfdl copyright notice needed

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Sun Sep 7 16:55:25 UTC 2003

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, Daniel Mayer wrote:

> Alex R. wrote:
> >"All contributions submitted here are released under
> >the [[GNU Free Documentation License]], see
> >[[{Project name}:Copyrights and Warranty Disclaimers]] .
> >By clicking save you affirm the copyright owner(s) of all
> >submitted material agrees to these terms; you further
> >affirm that such text is not defamatory or in violation
> >of any law; you also agree to [[{project name}:indemnify|indemnify]]
> >{project name}, all other volunteers and the [[Wikimedia Foundation]]
> >for any and all claims connected with your submission and are
> >bound by the [[{project name): terms and conditions]]."
>
> That looks good to me. Any objections from anybody about me changing the edit
> page text in Language.php, moving/modifying [[Wikipedia:Copyrights]],
> creating [[Wikipedia:Terms and conditions]], and for Alex to start
> [[Wikipedia:Indemnify]]?

And what do we do if a minor makes a submission? After all, while minors can
sign contracts, but cannot be held to them. And we do have several minors
who are making contributions to Wikipedia. (For example LittleDan, who
I wouldn't have thought was that young had he not stated the fact.)

This has been something that has nagged me ever since I learned that the
FSF does check for this of every contributor to their code base. If someone
under 18 wants to contribute, they have to get their parents or guardians
to agree to the FSF's terms. (This is done to provide the necessary
documentation to prevent a SCO v. IBM lawsuit.)

Geoff