[WikiEN-l] Re: deletions

Anthere anthere6 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 1 17:02:49 UTC 2003

Message: 7
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 12:08:52 +1000
From: Tim Starling <ts4294967296 at hotmail.com>
Subject: [WikiEN-l] Re: Michael again *sigh*
To: wikien-l at wikipedia.org

Anthere asked:

 >Will this be working on any wikipedia as well ?

That's a very good question. Currently the feature
can't be turned on
and off easily, but if you want I can easily fix it up
so that it can
be.

-- Tim Starling <tstarlingphysicsunimelbeduau>

No. Don't bother. I am pretty sure that if the french
wikipedia was asked, the majority of participants
would agree with that feature. Very useful tool to
shut up opposition :-) ( <- there is a smiley, that
means it is said with gentle irony)

But please, when this will be made live on
international wikipedias, could you indicate it on the
main list ?

It is a bit weird to say so, but I have not been
blocked for at least 6 months, so I do not quite know
what is right now written as a message to the blocked
person trying to edit :-) ( <- this just mean I have
not been vandalizing wikipedia enough recently, I
promise to make some effort to do so very soon in the
near future)

An ip was blocked on the fr wiki a couple of days ago,
after two poor edits on the main page ( <- I mean
newbie vandalism).

He apparently had to struggle to find somewhere the
email address of a sysop to be able to complain of his
treatment. The sysop then send the complaint to the
ML, where his message was blocked because sent from an
unusual email address non registered by the sysop. I
discovered the blocked email some hours later and then
authorized it. It then took a couple of hours more for
the user to receive an answer and explanation for the
blocking from us. Come to think of it, I am not sure
someone thought of unblocking the ip ...:-) (<- This
is meant to be a joke, I am sure the blocking sysop
thought of doing so)

If that had happened when I was on holidays, the
message would have been unblocked possibly three weeks
later :-((( ( <- I am serious here. In this case
Youssef was the recipient, but if the blocked person
had wrote to the ML directly, who would have
authorized his message ?).

I know you are all thinking of Michael here, and I
acknowledge this concern, but Michael is not the only
one who gets blocked.

could it be possible that a blocked person (an ip or a
loggued in user) be offered the way to communicate ?

Either by offering a direct link to the mailing list,
where the message would be recognised and could
automatically get through ?
Or could the banned person have no right to edit
anything but one page where she could voice her
concern ? Perhaps her user page or histalk page ?