[WikiEN-l] Committe volunteers requested

Jimmy Wales jwales at joey.bomis.com
Fri Oct 3 13:58:33 UTC 2003

Could people please write to me privately to volunteer for mediation
and arbitration committees?  You can't be on both, but please indicate
your willingness to serve on mediation, arbitration, or either, and
your preference, if any, so that I may make some selections based on
what people are willing to do.

That is, your email should say something like:
"I only want to volunteer for the mediation committee."
or
"I prefer mediation, but I'd also do arbitration if you asked."
or
"Either mediation or arbitration is better for me."

Then what I'll do is make appointments, the number depending on the
number of volunteers I get, and I'll make them for a defined period
and I'll stagger the terms, say 1, 2, or 3 years.

I'll try to get a healthy mix of people on the committee, including
some of the people who would almost never vote for a ban.  But also
some of the people who would almost always vote for a ban.  :-) This
will most closely replicate my own internal debate on these matters.

Then, a year from now, we can start a series of votes to make those
positions community-selected.  We can even vote on whether or not to
continue the process or go back to Jimbo-dicatorship.

I'd say let's come up with proposals and vote on it, and then have
elections, and all that, but it would take months to do it that way,
and I think we're all still exhausted from the logo voting debate.

We can work out the details as we go along, rather than trying to
figure it all out a priori.

--Jimbo