[WikiEN-l] RK temp-banned

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Oct 2 16:18:43 UTC 2003

Erik Moeller wrote:

>Vicki-
>
>>That power is supposed to be used only to enforce an already-existing
>>ban: it was created to deal with Michael's endless aliases and can
>>reasonably be used in any similar situation. It doesn't mean that any
>>sysop--of whom, as you note, there are many--can exclude someone
>>from Wikipedia. That way lies instability at best.
>>
>It was always allowed for developers to ban signed in users in cases of
>obvious vandalism. Now that sysops have the same ability, I see no reason
>why it should remain limited to people such as myself.

I agree with Vicki on this.  Anything more than a short term "emergency"
ban needs to be a community decision.  In the case of enforcing an
already-existing ban that community decision has already been made.
 Vicki's stability concerns are very real.  RK has been a sysop.  It is
certainly conceivable that he would apply the same interpersonal skills
to that role as he has to his discussions of anti-semitism.

Ec