[WikiEN-l] naming convention on common usage

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Nov 24 22:44:14 UTC 2003

Adam [name omitted for privacy reasons] wrote:

> About this time last year, I remember a lot of people arguing with me
> that we must use the most common terminology when naming a page; has
> this convention changed? Wik continues to revert my move of
> [[extermination camp]] to [[death camp]] -- is there any usage of
> "death camp" which does not directly, or indirectly, refer to the
> death camps of World War II? Google finds 6 times as many death camp
> articles -- surely that makes it clear which is more common?!
>

> Some would be mediators are trying to "compromise" by turning [[death
> camp]] into a disambiguation where they note, "Some people call
> prisons with execution chambers, as death camps" -- does not that very
> statement make it clear that "death camp" is the most common usage. --
> In any case, while "death camp" is used to refer to non-death camps
> (such as the prison at Guantanamo) -- its really very clear that such
> comparisons are deragatory and not to be taken literally. Furthermore,
> such comparisons are not expressed, "Guantanamo is an extermination
> camp!"; I think its very clear that death camp is the most common name.
>

> I have asked repeatedly how to get my messages to display properly in
> the mailing list, please inform me.

Your messages are fine even if in a somewhat smaller type size than
others.  It must be something to do with your settings, but then IANAT
(I Am Not A Techie).

The term "death camp" seems more generic than "extermination camp".  I
would have the impression that the management of the latter would be
somewhat more motivated toward the efficient accomplishment of their
aims.  The former might also include those who follow the technique of
malign neglect.  To include Guantanamo one would need to include old age
as an effective killing technique. :-)

Ec