[WikiEN-l] Spelling Day?

Ray saintonge at telus.net
Mon Nov 24 18:27:47 UTC 2003

Poor, Edmund W wrote:

>We cannot allow spelling bots unless:
>
>A. The bot is registered
>B. The bot draws from an approved list
>
>A word like /thier/ can safely be changed to "their", since it's almost
>always a misspelling. However, there are many misspellings which can't
>be automatically corrected.

You can never be sure without looking at it in person.  Wasn't there a
French statesman by that name a century ago?  If that's the case the
proper correction would be to capitalize. :-)

>I don't mind HUMANS whiling away their time doing a bit of spell-check
>work; I do it myself, when I want to relax.

I agree; I did some of that before our search function became
non-operational.  When it's back up and running I may do some more.
 It's a more productive  way to build up personal edit numbers than
engaging in reversion wars. ;-)

>But if a machine can do it, then it probably shouldn't be done as a
>logged-in contributor (robot or "bot"). Rather, let's have our zealous
>programming staff write a custom spell-check program.

I would still be suspicious

Ec