[WikiEN-l] Reddi's POV edits of Current Events

James Duffy jtdire at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 20 21:52:43 UTC 2003

>James-
>
> > Reddi had added many links to [[Current events]]. Most are OK but s/he
>has a
> > habit of adding highly questionable stuff -
>
>Your analysis is correct and I have had conflicts with Reddi over this in
>the past. He replied with an incomprehensible block of text (and also has
>the annoying habit of removing a comment when replying to it).

So true, Erik. I can never make head nor tail of these 'mysterious' replies!

>On the
>other hand, he is/was one of the most active editors on CE, so I think we
>should make reasonable efforts to work with him.
>
>Reddi has good intentions, but when it's so obvious where he stands
>politically from his edits, something needs to be done.

I agree 100%.

>I would support an official warning to the effect that:
>- POV language needs to be avoided -- will everyone agree with the
>summary?
>- Sources should be reasonably objective, e.g. Voice of America is a US
>government funded operation, and AP/Reuters are therefore preferable
>- "Current events" should concentrate on factual information, not mere
>statements of opinion
>- When available, summaries should contain facts/"opinions" from all
>relevant sides
>
>As for the entertainment news, I believe these *could* be salvaged, but
>not in the current format which has no clear distinction between different
>news categories. They could either be on a separate page or in a separate
>section. This includes sports, movies, music etc. I do support growing the
>"Current events" section beyond its present format, we can always spin it
>off if it gets too dominant.
>
>Regards,
>
>Erik

I could not agree more with Erik. I think Reddi is a serious and genuine
contributor. I am simply at a loss as to how to convince him of the problem
when his replies are gobbledigook and he just keeps doing it (with snide
comments about 'Irish drunks' thrown in!). I think sister articles to
[[Current events]] will eventually come into being. But in the meantime we
have to tell him/her clearly, "look, we know you are a genuine and serious
contrubutor, but please be very careful what you put here." So far, attempts
to say that have simply produced bizarre responses that leave the reader
utterly bewildered as to what they mean.

JT.