[WikiEN-l] [mhollist at cox.net: RE: Use of content from Wikipedia]

Alex R. alex756 at nyc.rr.com
Wed Nov 19 15:45:59 UTC 2003

 From: "Poor, Edmund W" <Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com>

>Arvind,

>Thank you for taking the time to write such a courteous letter to the
>Chess & Beyond website. As predicted, the response was courteous and
>promised cooperation within quite a reasonable amount of time.

>This sort of courteous exchange is an excellent example of promoting the
>"free text" concept -- and it's much better than an abrupt takedown
>demand. We're not WWF wrestlers, we're public-spirited artists.

If public spirited artists do not protect their rights, they loose them
like anyone else. I still think there needs to be a policy that deals with
such misuse of the content of Wikipedia, otherwise let's just take down
that GFDL license and let it just be a PD free-for-all, then it will really
be
like  the WWF; rational people make rational demands, the OCILLA
notice is a rational demand as authorized by law, it is not some wild
act by a bunch of guys on steroids.  Sure being nice is good, but if
someone ignores it, it should not be tolerated this is what it means to
live in a free and democratic society, people follow the laws. If they
want to change them, then they can try to do that, but don't compare
the law to a bunch of thugs, that is not nice (and not in the spirit of
public-spirited artists).

Once again this is a legal issue and all posts should at least be cross
posted
to Wikilegal-L which is open to anyone to join who is interested in such
legal issues.

Alex756