[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia Takedown Notice was Copyright violation

Nathan Russell nrussell at buffalo.edu
Sun Nov 16 17:48:17 UTC 2003

--On Sunday, November 16, 2003 11:27 AM -0500 "Alex R." <alex756 at nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> Actually the notice does not have be drafted by a lawyer and it can
> be sent by email. It just has to be done by someone who can certify
> that the content is protected by copyright. You basically just have
> to follow the requirements of the law. It is not that complicated,
> most corporations do it through lawyers but individuals can do
> it too without legal help.

Corporations do it through lawyers because it's worth it to them to make sure the case isn't thrown out due to failure to dot all the i's.

I agree that Wikipedia should be registered as copyright - that basically requires sending a form to the government and paying a fee that was (when last I checked) in the range of 20-30 USD.

Nathan