[WikiEN-l] Copyright violation

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Nov 16 06:41:18 UTC 2003

Arvind Narayanan wrote:

>On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 09:21:44PM +0100, Axel Boldt wrote:
>
>>Alex R. wrote:
>>
>>>If Wikipedia authors do not assert their rights they will lose them.
>>>
>>That applies to trademarks, but not to copyrights. Whether you defend
>>copyrights or not, you always keep them.
>>
>>>if Wikipedia wanted to give it
>>>away it would all be put into the public domain. It is not in the public
>>>domain, it is under a complex license that needs to be followed.
>>>
>>Ironically, the bulk of [[Chest strategy and tactics]] was written by me
>>and is therefore in the public domain.
>>
>I don't understand. Could you please explain how your contributions are PD?
>The edit pages say: "Please note that all contributions to Wikipedia are
>considered to be released under the GNU Free Documentation License".
>Do you mean to say that you've also put it up at some other site as PD?
>Even in that case, chessandbeyond copied it from wikipedia, and so they're
>still bound by the terms of the GFDL.

It does all get very tricky.  Axel has a perfect right to put his
writing into the public domailn.  Nothing prevents us or chessandbeyond
from using public domain material.  What was added by others later is
not necessarily also in the public domain.

Our big argument is with people plagiarize, and purport to claim
copyright on their plagiarism.

Ec