[WikiEN-l] Copyright violation

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 15 20:42:05 UTC 2003

Alex wrote:
>Good plan to start but wouldn't it be appropriate to send >
>their ISP a DCMA art 512 takedown request in a few days?

IMO, no. First let's give them the benefit of the doubt and officially be nice
for a few weeks. If they ignore our first letter and then a sternly-worded
follow-up in that time frame, /then/ we should consider going to their ISP.
This has worked fairly well so far, but it does take more time (at least a
few weeks to a month). Most of the time people are just making hasty mistakes
and really don't think they are doing anything wrong.

However, I thought that it cost at least a few hundred bucks lawyer time for
every DMCA letter... Do you mean to say that /anybody/ with a reasonable
amount of intelligence and knowledge of the DMCA can write these things? That
is at the same time empowering but also scary. And what do we do if they are
their own ISP?

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)