[WikiEN-l] Copyright violation

Alex R. alex756 at nyc.rr.com
Sat Nov 15 13:47:21 UTC 2003

"Daniel Mayer" <maveric149 at yahoo.com> said:
Arvind Narayanan wrote:
>The site http://www.chessandbeyond.com has
>copied several articles from Wikipedia. There's
>nothing about wikipedia on those pages, and at
>the bottom there is the statement
>
>   Copyright © 2003 Chess And Beyond
>   ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

This really pisses me off and is a very clear violation of the GNU FDL. They
not only failed to credit the Wikipedia article as the source but then they
try to pretend that they own the copyright! This is legally and morally
wrong.

Since you are actually one of the authors you are on very good footing to
complain.

First, list the website at:
http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Sites_that_use_Wikipedia_for_content#Articles_with_issues

Then write them a letter:
http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Standard_GFDL_violation_letter

If they stonewall you after a letter and a follow-up letter, then come back
the list and we will discuss what to do next.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)

Good plan to start but wouldn't it be appropriate to send their ISP a DCMA
art 512 takedown
request in a few days?

Alex756