[WikiEN-l] Re: WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 4, Issue 50

John Merrall merrall at mountaincable.net
Fri Nov 14 22:18:46 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
> Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 13:43:13 -0800
> From: Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>
> Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Re: WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 4, Issue 49
>
> John Merrall wrote:

> >??? This seems like a problem of transliteration.
> >
> Not really.  That would be the case if we were talking about Russian or
> Greek.  The last time I looked German and English used the same
> alphabet.

Well, except for ü and ö and suchlike, in which case we anglos write ue
and oe. But if the Germans
spell it Adolf, why not make that the main entry and link over from
"Adolph"?

I mean, what's the argument here? Do they want two identical entries, or
is someone really suggesting Wikipedia should put the main entry under
"Adolph"? I can't see the argument.

I could see an argument over an entry for Leo Tolstoy, if someone wanted
to put him under "Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy", which I'd suggest would be
more proper except I don't want to start a war....