[WikiEN-l] Re: WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 4, Issue 49

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Nov 14 21:43:13 UTC 2003

John Merrall wrote:

>>70,000 hits + multiple appearances in print authorities should get a
>>
>mention
>
>>in the article ("commonly seen as Adolph, although technically
>>
>incorrect").
>
>??? This seems like a problem of transliteration.

Not really.  That would be the case if we were talking about Russian or
Greek.  The last time I looked German and English used the same
alphabet.  (...or is it alfabet?) :-)

>I know I'd be annoyed if I went to all the
>trouble of suspending democracy, starting war, killing 20 million people
>and wrecking Europe, and some German Encyclopedia 60 years later went and
>bolluxed my name up as "Hans". :-)

You'd think that after suspending press freedoms, the newspapers would
finally be able to get this right. :-)

>This Wikipedia thing is starting to look like it has the same problems as
>rec.org.mensa. I hope it's just a few people who would rather hear the
>sound of their own voice than try and agree on anything.

I have to accept that one thing we have in common with them is a lot of
precocious genius. :-)