[WikiEN-l] Adolph

Andre Engels engelsAG at t-online.de
Fri Nov 14 18:33:14 UTC 2003

"Jimmy Wales" <jwales at bomis.com> schrieb:

> Voting on the content of articles is not something that I think is
> generally helpful, since it tends to lead to a lot of carping about
> what the result of the vote actually means.
>
> Rather than voting one way or the other, a better approach is for all
> sides to work towards creatively accomodating the other people working
> on the article.

Which is a method that also doesn't work. People just talk and talk and talk until one side decides they're tired of the whole thing and gives up.

> In general, let's say the vote goes 80%/20% on some specific content
> issue?  To me, that says that the 20% side has conclusively
> demonstrated that the article is _not_ NPOV.  NPOV requires (near)
> unanimity.

I think that's a ridiculous assumption. There can easily be near-infinitely many versions that are _all_ NPOV. And some prefer one, others the other. There's more differences in opinion than just NPOV.

> I wish, too, that people would generally refrain from reverting,
> except in cases of actual simple vandalism.  Reverting doesn't say "I
> don't fully agree with your changes, but I'm willing to work with you
> to try to improve the article."  Reverting says "I refuse to
> co-operate with you by pretending that what you're doing is in any way
> worthwhile."

So what would YOU advise those that are of the opinion that mentioning a misspelling is not a good idea to do? Just give up because there are some that think differently?

> Hey, sometimes the second is actually true, and we actually should
> refuse to co-operate.  If someone puts in utter and complete nonsense,
> a very good thing to do is just clean it up, revert it, quickly and
> with as little effort as possible.
>
> But in this case, Adolph/Adolf, I don't see how it's appropriate to
> just revert.

Which basically means that you DO choose side in this debate. Because one side can do nothing but revert, while the other can choose a different wording every time.

Andre Engels