[WikiEN-l] Adolph Hitler

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Nov 12 21:31:07 UTC 2003

Fred Bauder wrote:

>>   The spelling "Adolph" is used in reference to Adolf Hitler -- it is
>>not at  all hard to find websites, movies, books, and encyclopedias which
>>include this  spelling, some use it exclusively. Is there any reason that
>>the Adolf Hitler  article shouldn't note that Adolph is used?
>>

>No

I agree with this, and it's not just about Hitler, but also about others
who have a name that is commonly misspelled.  If it's a question of "f"
vs. "ph" we should go with the original form.  AFAIK only Portuguese
forms interchange the two freely.

I do get over 70,000 for "Adolph Hitler", but that doesn't make them
right.  Having a redirect is a good thing, but in most cases a reference
to a misspelling only encourages its use.

Ec