[WikiEN-l] Let's write neutral articles (was: Wikipedia endorses themalicious claim!)

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Tue Nov 11 19:33:15 UTC 2003

I am beginning to lose my patience with the length and contentiousness
of this thread.

Rick, please don't fan the flames any more; give it a rest, please.

Libertarian, please try to understand that Wikipedia is not a place to
"post" your point of view or argue about it. We are trying to write
neutral articles about topics.

If there is controversy about a topic you care deeply about, you have
some choices:

1. Don't write about it here, if you can't accept our Neutral Point Of
View (NPOV) editorial policy.

2. Stop and ask for help, every time someone reverts one of your edits.
An experience writer (like me :-) will come to your aid, and help you
revise your edit so that it is accepted by others.

There is no third way. Complaining about how everyone is unfair will
never get you anywhere, and eventually you will either be hounded out
(as it will seem) or get kicked out (if you get so upset that you start
deliberately breaking the rules).

I think you ought to try option #2: pick ONE SMALL PROBLEM and ask about
it. Then stop. And wait. Give people time to respond.

If the problem really is OTHER PEOPLE, I can persuade them (usually) or
make them (if it's important enough). But you have to slow down and
quiet down enough to let me work. Otherwise, I can't help you.

Ed Poor