[WikiEN-l] Straw man (was: Proposed: stop all deletes for 6months, then reconsider)

Andrew Lih alih at hku.hk
Tue Nov 11 04:01:09 UTC 2003

> On Behalf Of The Cunctator
> At least according to Wikipedia, "the straw man rhetorical
> technique is the practice of refuting weaker arguments than
> your opponents actually offer."

Have you ever heard the saying, "Don't eat where you crap?" :)

> That is what people have been doing.
> Your use of the word "crying"--when describing what people
> are doing in a textual medium--unnecessarily vilifies the posters.
>
> For one, slippery slope arguments are fallacies too.

When debating our policies, pointing out resulting troubling scenarios
and possible degradation to Wikipedia's reputation is a valid exercise
given Wikipedia's stature and importance. Slippery slope arguments are
not inherent fallacies.

And, yes there have been charges of strawman, right in the first
sentence of several posts on WikiEN-l (not particular to either side).

-Fuzheado