[WikiEN-l] Communist paper apologises but Wikipedia endorses the malicious claim!

libertarian libertarian at myway.com
Sat Nov 8 17:25:18 UTC 2003

On one page of Wikipedia, it says:
Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) - organisation of which a member assassinated Mahatma Gandhi

Kolkata (capital of Communist ruled West Bengal) based Statesman made
the same claim and later apologised when asked for proof in a court
of law.
http://www.thestatesman.net/page.arcview.php?date=2003-10-11&usrsess=1&clid=1&id=53203

Despite the nonsensical nature of the claim of Communists, Wikipedia
seems to support those who espouse the Communist Party of India's
views. You may ask me why I don't edit it. Yes, I did so and
it gets reverted each time I do so and sometimes articles get locked
in a state favoring the allegations of Marxists even though they
may be factually inaccurate.

Why is it that Marxists are allowed to post their allegations as a
legitimate POV but if there are allegations to the contrary, they
are either not allowed or they have to be worded such that they are
weak? Even facts against the Communists are watered down into
allegations (as in the case of VR Krishna Iyer being a Marxist).

When there is something negative against Hindus/Indians, Wikipedia
has it as an assertion (even if it is unproven), but if there is
something positive, it is posted in terms which obfuscate the issue.

For the record, I have no sympathy for RSS and I am against a lot
of their lunatic ideas, but I want FACTS to be represented. Opposing
RSS doesn't mean I have to support the Communist Party of India.

Full text of the apology:

An apology

In an editorial entitled “Double Standard — Not Illegal but Stupid” (The Statesman, 29-30 May 2000), we had described the Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh as “the organisation that killed Gandhi”. This was incorrect, and unsupported by both facts and the record. We express regrets for the publication and apologise unconditionally for the anguish and mental torture caused to members of the organisation. This apology follows in the case “Darshan Lal Jain vs CR Irani and others” in the court of Mr Atul Marya, Ld. Judicial Magistrate 1st class, Jagadhri (Haryana) in which the complainant was being represented by Mr Pardeep Garg, Advocate.
----

-libertarian