[WikiEN-l] Rampant Deletionism

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Fri Nov 7 08:23:23 UTC 2003

Jake Nelson wrote:

>I've seen a lot of dodging of the "what does it hurt?" question, the most
>I've seen is "it DOES hurt" or "it doesn't belong in an encyclopedia". The
>first response isn't an answer, and begs the question to be repeated. As to
>the second... what do you define an encyclopedia as? LKWR is the only one
>I've seen outline criteria (back on 10/31), 4 of which describe Wikipedia
>excellently, and I disagree with the other 2.

My main question is that it makes Wikipedia look ridiculous, and makes
information harder to find.  If I search for "Michael Jordan" and get
4,000 results consisting of every person who has ever been named
"Michael Jordan", that's *much* less useful than the current state, and
a bit laughable.  Wikipedia is not a geneological database after all.

-Mark