[WikiEN-l] Partial solution to rampant deletionism

Matthew Brown morven at byz.org
Fri Nov 7 07:28:44 UTC 2003

RickK wrote:
  I'm also sick and tired of being ridiculed about the snooker guy.  At the time I placed it on VfD, the article consisted of "Born 1949. A snooker champion. He turned professional in 1971. He drank and smoked during tournaments helping sponsored tobacco advertising. Today he is better known for his throat cancer and a stand against tobacco industry."  Please tell me how I'm supposed to know that this is a meaningful article about an important person, based upon this information?
If people bring this up (and I haven't seen it brought up since when it was current on VfD, so unless you get private mails about this, you're being hyper defensive here) it's because it showed you as someone unwilling to even do the most cursory research before recommending deletion.  For one thing, the article himself said the guy was a professional player in a sport, and a champion.  That alone probably makes him important to keep.  A quick Google would have told you more.

-Matt (User:Morven)