[WikiEN-l] Rampant Deletionism

Lee Pilich lee at audiblerecords.com
Thu Nov 6 14:26:20 UTC 2003

At 05:07 06/11/2003 -0800, Jimbo wrote:
>"Cory Hall" -- this one did get redirected to U. Cal Berkeley, which
>is absurd in my opinion.  This is a well-known building, it may
>certainly have an article, even if the topic would not make it into
>1.0.  When was it built?  What function does it serve?  Who was the
>architect?  What famous things happened there?  All legitimate stuff.

Absolutely. But perhaps when you consider that the content of that page was
nothing more than "Cory Hall is the Electrical Engineering building at the
University of California, Berkeley. It is across the street from Soda
Hall", and that the same content has been merged into the U Cal, Berk page,
the redirect doesn't seem so "absurd" any more.

Given that some mention of Cory Hall is needed in the UofC,B page whether
the Hall has its own article or not, the question is: is it better to have
this info in the UofC,B page and duplicate it on its own page, or is it
better to just have the info in one place and only make a separate [[Cory
Hall]] page when there's more info about it? Not an easy question to
answer, I think - the first could result in duplicated effort across the
two articles, while the second could discourage expansion of the info about
Cory Hall completely. But both seem reasonable positions, neither is absurd.

Anyway, how we handle stub articles like these is a separate issue to
deletions. Nobody's suggesting that we delete this sort of info.

LP (Camembert)