[WikiEN-l] Re: Articles about ourselves

Sheldon Rampton sheldon.rampton at verizon.net
Thu Nov 6 02:50:43 UTC 2003

You wrote:

>Right, well, we could talk about that offlist if you really want,

OK, whatever, but if you don't want to talk about it here, maybe you
shouldn't have brought it up here.

>but
>that wasn't really the point.  The point was just that the entry about
>you that exists right now is biased, and I think that one of the
>reasons that it's biased is that people are reluctant to edit it.

If you think the article that exists right now is biased, CHANGE IT!
I've said that several times now. If you don't, I have to assume that
whatever bias you claim to perceive isn't really that much of a
problem for you.

And what's your basis for claiming that people are "reluctant to edit
it"? Ed Poor hasn't been reluctant, nor have several other people.

The only person here who seems to think the article is biased is you,
for reasons that you don't want to discuss on this list. Based on
what you've stated so far, it is impossible for anyone to judge
whether the real problem is MY bias, the ARTICLE's bias, or YOUR
bias. Personally, I vote for the conclusion that the problem is YOUR
bias. But maybe that's just me. ;-)

>In general people are going to be reluctant
>to edit a biography of someone here, and more so if it's
>_autobiography_.

Of course, my bio isn't really an "autobiography." It's not written
in the first person, and it actually has multiple authors. It's no
more an "autobiography" than the Rev. Moon article is a "biography of
Moon written by a member of the Unification Church." There's also
nothing in the text of the article itself that would inhibit anyone
from editing it. I suppose you might fantasize that someone would
review its history, see my name there and get all inhibited, but
that's a fairly fanciful speculation. (Wikipedians don't usually
begin their editing by reviewing an article's history; at least, I
know I don't.) And actually, it's equally plausible that seeing my
name in the history would motivate people to edit it MORE
aggressively, rather than less so. Try this thought experiment: If I
had edited the article under an anonymous pseudonym instead of my own
name, would Ed Poor have used the term "self-serving" to describe the
paragraph he removed? I think his edit demonstrates that editing
under my own name actually INCREASED the amount of critical scrutiny
the article has received.

Your argument reminds me of something I used to hear from one of my
feminist friends back in the 1980s. I knew a woman who complained
that at meetings of a political group to which she belonged, men
tended to dominate because they didn't hesitate to speak up, whereas
women were shy about expressing themselves in front of a group. She
thought that this phenomenon constituted some kind of male
oppression. I pointed out to her that men were under no obligation to
stifle themselves just because some women lacked the gumption to
speak up. If women really are more shy in public than men (which may
have been true at the time, but is probably less true now), the
solution isn't for men to stifle themselves but for women to find
their own voices.

Similarly, the solution to the problem you're posing isn't for me to
stifle myself but for others to overcome their reluctance to edit
boldly -- assuming that such reluctance even exists, which you
haven't  demonstrated.
--