[WikiEN-l] Re: Articles about ourselves

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 5 18:29:57 UTC 2003

Jimbo wrote:
>Ed Poor removed that line with the comment
>"(moved self-serving ...  text to talk)".  And of
>course since then, famously, you two have
>been  at each others throats.

I'm almost certain that would have happended even if Mr. Rampton did not have
an article. Ed and Sheldon's politics are very much opposed to one another
(in an already almost hostile way) and they have clashed on several different
articles.

>Let me say it another way -- it isn't so much the
>conflict-of-interest that's a problem, it's that personal
>courtesy prevents people from editing an article about
>you that you've edited yourself, with the result being an
>entry that is not encyclopedic.

Personal courtesy be dammed! If it is in the article space then it is fair
game for NPOVing and fact-checking (in no way should the same courtesy
extended to user pages be transferable to the article space just because the
user happens to be famous enough for an article). Also, the very fact that a
person who is very closely involved with the subject in a POV way has edited
the article sends POV-warning signals to me. So if I saw somebody editing
their own article, then I would be extra suspicious of their edits.

But that is just me.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)