[WikiEN-l] Re: Craig Hubley

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 4 02:45:58 UTC 2003

Louis Kyu Won Ryu wrote:
>Seeing as how Mr. Hubley on his web site takes
>credit for one of  142.177.etc's trademark articles,
>I believe there is every reason to believe that
>Hubley and 142.177.etc are one and the same,
>unless there  is some evidence to the contrary.

I agree with you. And the truth is an absolute defense in any libel case (even
if not true, then any reasonable person would also strongly suspect a
Hubley/142 connection given all the available evidence). My mentioning that
142.177 was Craig Hubley is not, as he likes to state, actionable libel and
slander.

>However, I must take issue with the implied suggestion
>some have made that we undertake to bombard Hubley
>with e-mail, phone calls, legal threats, and personal visits.

Who implied this? Lir came close, but I just don't see a clear connection
between Lir's research and any advocacy to deluge Mr. Hubley or otherwise
bother him. It was my impression that Lir was trying to make a point that now
that 142 has been "outed" then we could (in a technical sense) do that. He
did not say that we should do that and in fact indicated that the outing was
bad because we could disrupt Mr. Hubley's life.

>Such a response would be ineffective and  inconsistent
>with our core values.

I agree. But we can and should use that information to contact the authorities
if Mr. Hubley's actions justify that.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)