[WikiEN-l] JTDirl, was Requesting sysop access - CGS

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat May 31 13:37:31 UTC 2003

Fred Bauder wrote:

>>From: "Tony Wilson" <list at redhill.net.au>
>>
>>Tony
>>
>>(Tannin)
>>
>>(By the way, what happened to the nomination for JTDirl? That one seems
>>to have fallen through the cracks. It's been ages.)
>>

>I continue to object to sysop status for JTDirl. Take a look at the nasty
>comment on my talk page:
>
>http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Fred_Bauder especially on the last
>line:
>
>"lol FearÉIREANN"
>
>I made no mistake in objecting to him.

Without committing myself one way or the other about sysops, I find
Fred's claim of a so-called "nasty comment" to be an egregious
distortion of fact.  The entire end reads as follows:

> I thought I better let you know that this does crop up via the google
> search. Feel free, BTW, to erase this message if you want. For all our
> disagreements, I think it deeply wrong that the above accusation comes
> up against your name on google. lol  FearÉIREANN
> <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jtdirl>

This last paragraph and the much longer posting that precedes it seems
very conciliatory.  The most relevant distortion seems to involve
treating the "Fear" part of the nickname as some kind of imperative.
 Fred may not have noticed that JTDirl lives in Dublin, and his most
abiding contributions have been in matters of Irish interest.  I would
assign Fred the homework of looking up "fear" in a Gaelic dictionary.

May I suggest to JTDirl that an article on Irish Gaelic comparable to
TAW's article on Polish would be most welcome at Wiktionary.

Eclecticology