[WikiEN-l] date on front page

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 23 23:15:45 UTC 2003

brion vibber wrote:
>Don't we already?
>
>Aha! It's been deceptively renamed, so the link
>appears as the text "Historical anniversaries", which
>is followed by a list of links to things that didn't
>necessarily happen on that day. This isn't very good
>design.
>
>-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Agreed - that was a hack. I've made some changes to the [[Main Page]] that
make things a bit more clear:

'''[[List of historical anniversaries|Historical anniversaries]]''':
[[{{CURRENTMONTHNAME}} {{CURRENTDAY}}]] - [[Event]] - ...

See
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Notice the date link is no longer hidden but is now just the first article in
the Historical anniversaries list. This works for the list since the newest
items for that list are always placed right next to the Historical
anniversaries subhead and it is rare that any historical event gets listed
until /after/ the day on which the event occurred has passed (sorry, but Zoe
and I are always at least a day behind on de-stubifying the day pages).

BTW these events are only listed on the Main Page for an average of 4 days -
sometimes less. In comparison some "Recent deaths" stay listed for nearly a
month and "Current events" usually has a link or two that is two or more
weeks old (not that anything is wrong with that - there is only so much to
report on). Needless to say there is a lot more past history to cover than
current history (thank goodness!).

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)

WikiKarma
I added more events to [[March 22]], checked and fixed all events for
accuracy, updated all the year pages and many of the other articles linked
from that page. I then added a few historical anniversary events to the Main
Page.