[WikiEN-l] Re: Search engine disabled

John Robinson john at freeq.com
Tue Mar 18 17:13:41 UTC 2003

I just wanted to throw in my two cents regarding the search engine.

Using Google might be a good temporary solution, but I think using it
permanently, or even semi-permanently, would be a bad idea.  From an
editing standpoint, as Erik Moeller rightly pointed out, it can lead to
duplicate articles that aren't found for weeks or even months, if ever.

 From a user standpoint, it's even worse.  An example is [[Mexican Cave
Fish]]; created over a year ago, it doesn't show up in Google at all,
either under that name or under its current title [[Astyanax
mexicanus]].  (As an aside, that page probably needs to be moved by a
sysop.)  There is no way of easily telling how many pages are in a
similar situation.

A search function is essential; this thing doesn't have a conventional
index.  I strongly feel that Google is not up to the task.  I
completely understand the problems with server load, and hope we can
get that fixed in a more conventional manner soon (if another machine
in the rack is what's needed, I'd certainly contribute toward that, as
I'm sure would others).  However, I'm wondering if a more efficient
short-term remedy might be to find some other function, one less
integral to the use of the Wikipedia, to disable instead of the search
function.

Hephaestos