[WikiEN-l] Lots of a weird error message

Tony Wilson list at redhill.net.au
Thu Mar 13 13:46:42 UTC 2003

I guess the wizards that run this thing know all about this, but just
in case - I'm getting HEAPS of troubles these last few days. Not just
the usual slowdowns and outages, a different one. The most common error
message looks like this:

> Warning: Too many connections in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/w/DatabaseFunctions.php on line 26
> Could not connect to DB on 127.0.0.1
> Too many connections
> If this error persists after reloading and clearing your browser cache, please notify the Wikipedia developers.

It's not my browser, because I've had it so far under: Windows 2000
with SP3 with Opera 6.05, Mozilla 1.3B, IE 6.0 & Netscape 4.04, and
also on a different machine at a different location on ECS (OS/2 4.5,
sort of) with Mozilla 1.3B. Last night the 'pedia was unusable for
quite a few hours, then it was back again tonight.No problems
connecting to other sites, only the 'pedia. Being in Australia, most of
my connect time is off-peak, while the USAians are all asleep. Except
the real addicts, of course.

I guess it's a known problem, but I thought I better mention it just in
case.