[WikiEN-l] Re: morphophonics for wikipedia

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jul 8 18:07:05 UTC 2003

steve vertigo wrote:

>PS -- its important to note that Sampa was originally
>designed with only Germanic /Latin languages in mind
>to begin with: "Danish, Dutch, English, French,
>German, and Italian (by 1989); later to Norwegian and
>Swedish (by 1992); and subsequently to Greek,
>Portuguese, and Spanish (1993)."
>
>Plus it just tries to doo too damn much.

My further objection to SAMPA is that many of its representations tend
to be counterintuitive.  When it uses an upper case letter to indicate
something other than its minuscule counterpart I get a completely wrong
impression about how the word in question should be pronounced.
 Although I tend to mostly favour IPA, the use of capital letters in the
popular American system to indicate emphasis is very easy to understand
and follow.

Ec