[WikiEN-l] World domination. Recieving online donations

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Jul 7 09:25:19 UTC 2003

Christopher Mahan wrote:

>--- Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Christopher Mahan wrote:
>>
>>>The Wikipedia is operated by the
>>>Wikipedia Foundation. Find out how
>>>you can help.
>>>
>>Seems a bit wordy ; just a one or two word normal link would do.
>>Also don't
>>you mean to say Wikimedia Foundation?
>>

>Yes, yea, and a resounding yes!
>
>ahem...

I think that any scheme to solicit money from the public is premature.
 Organizational structure, and an operating budget which sets
fundraising targets should come first.

A sudden unplanned influx of large amounts of money, which I believe is
out there in the light of the Alexa report if the subject is approached
properly, can be deadly to the project.  A pool of found money too
easily attracts ways to spend it.

Yes, of course, there are things for which we could use further funds
even now, but would it be too much to plan that out?

Ec