[WikiEN-l] Re: morphophonics for wikipedia

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Wed Jul 30 06:34:16 UTC 2003

Stevertigo wrote in part:

>But the whole notion of using English specific formats
>is useless-- once again the sea we tend to swim in is
>an English-centered one.

OTC, it's /exactly/ what's useful for English words.

As I said when I first brought up morphophones,
a morphophonic transcription should only be used for English words,
which appear (or may appear) in all dialects, with different phonemes.
Foreign proper names should still be rendered phonemically,
according to the way that the relevant foreigners speak.

-- Toby