[WikiEN-l] About copyright violations

David Grant david.grant at telus.net
Wed Jul 30 02:32:51 UTC 2003

Hey everyone,

I would like the template for every article to be altered, to include
something similar to the following: "This is licensed under GFDL...if
you with to copy this article, go ahead...but you are required to
provide a link to the GFDL... and you are required to link back to the
original article..."  That is essence of what needs to be added to the
template for every Wikipedia article.  This is in order to stop the
ripping of Wikipedia articles without full copyright/license compliance.

I posted this today on the
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Sites_that_use_Wikipedia_for_content
page.

"Jesus, there are two many websites out there in non-compliance. The
template for all pages needs to say explicitly what people are to do if
they wish to copy the text. I mean, here we are advertising "Wikipedia:
The Free Encylopedia" everywhere, and there is a link to GFDL at the
bottom of every wikipedia article. What is the average person to
think??? Of course they will assume they can just rip off the content.
If they have any knowledge of GFDL or GPL, they might think that they
can use it and modify it as long as they put it under the same license.
But how are they supposed to know that they have to link back to the
original article? We should stop the problem at the source and put
explicit instruction on EVERY SINGLE wikipedia article at the bottom or
top of the page so that when people are clicking and dragging their
mouse across the page they will see it. Or if they save the HTML, they
will also see it when they edit that hopefully. Who to talk to about
this? Just my two cents. I'll continue to help out sending letters and
such though, because I think it's a worthy cause. dave
<http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dgrant> 23:28, 29 Jul 2003 (UTC)"

Please CC to david.grant at telus.net, or reply all...

--
David J. Grant