[WikiEN-l] morphophonics for wikipedia

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Mon Jul 28 07:40:20 UTC 2003

Daniel Ehrenberg wrote:

>On the bike trip (and
>previously at summer camp), I worked on a morphophonic
>system in my head that is now almost fully functional,
>using only lowercased roman alphabet letters and the
>characters - ' ". I think that such a system would be
>beneficial to Wikipedia and Wiktionary. Here are some
>words transliterated into my system, which I'd like to
>call the Wikipedia Morphophonic Pronounciation (WPMP):
>
>wikipedia -> w-ek-ep-ed-e"u
>wiktionary -> wi-ikshun-ar-e
>Daniel Ehrenberg -> Dany-l E'rxnb-rg
>unintuitive -> xnint'y-u"itiv

Everyone tries to invent their own phonetic system when they're in their
teens. I did.
But reinventing the wheel is generally a bad idea.
if every dictionary & encyclopedia has its own system, then it is not
transferable, and the reader has to relearn for each book they open.
Let's stick to something that is universal: IPA / SAMPA.