[WikiEN-l] morphophonics for wikipedia

Daniel Ehrenberg littledanehren at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 27 23:22:29 UTC 2003

A while ago, there was a discussion of creating a
morphophonic system for use in wikipedia and
wiktionary. I accidentally responded to the letters
around a month late because I was at summer camp for
the past 3 weeks and was in the middle of my
post-summercamp bike trip. On the bike trip (and
previously at summer camp), I worked on a morphophonic
system in my head that is now almost fully functional,
using only lowercased roman alphabet letters and the
characters - ' ". I think that such a system would be
beneficial to Wikipedia and Wiktionary. Here are some
words transliterated into my system, which I'd like to
call the Wikipedia Morphophonic Pronounciation (WPMP):

wikipedia -> w-ek-ep-ed-e"u
wiktionary -> wi-ikshun-ar-e
Daniel Ehrenberg -> Dany-l E'rxnb-rg
unintuitive -> xnint'y-u"itiv

You can't really glean much of how the system works
from those samples, though.
-LittleDan