[WikiEN-l] Unacceptable behaviour

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Wed Jul 23 18:29:51 UTC 2003

Christopher Mahan wrote:
> Robert, if you can't be nice, take your marbles to the other side of
> the playground.
>
> By the way: It is completely acceptable for people to hold their own
> opinions and express them. It's called freedom of speech.

It is acceptable for people to hold their own opinions and express
them -- but not in an inappropriate forum.  One of the cardinal
principles of Wikipedia is respect for others, even others with whom
we have significant political or other disagreements.

So, it isn't appropriate for people to "Jew bait" RK, nor to bring up
the Israeli-Palestinian debate on completely unrelated pages, nor to
attempt to engage him in political debates that he isn't interested
in.

RK is abrasive at times, and he knows I think so, and I think he knows
that it contributes to his difficulties.  But he does have a point,
and I think we should listen to it and respect it.

--Jimbo