[WikiEN-l] Re: Crackpot articles

jheiskan at welho.com jheiskan at welho.com
Sun Jul 13 03:08:08 UTC 2003

Lainaus Tim Starling <ts4294967296 at hotmail.com>:

> After coming across [[reciprocal system of theory]] for the first time just
> recently, and after personally spending a great deal of time on
> [[neutrosophy]] and other articles, I have a feeling we're losing the war
> on
> pseudoscience, mainly due to an insufficient number of motivated skeptical
> contributors. I've been giving serious thought to advertising our cause on
> the major skeptical community forums.
>
> I don't really see any other way to do this, other than plain old-fashioned
> manpower. If any of these theories are truly idiosyncratic, we'll be able
> save a lot of time if we can get them deleted. Other than that, we've just
> got to do the research, present the flaws, and contextualise.
>
> -- Tim Starling <tstarlingphysicsunimelbeduau>

I wouldn't be too disheartened. Remember that on wikipedia nonsense has to
eternally keep glancing over it's shoulders. Eventually someone will notice it,
and the heuristic of the system vastly favors sense over nonsense. Nonsense we
will always have with us, but that is what being open means. The only nonsense
that is secure is nonsense that is the current scientific paradigm. And such
nonsense always exists as well. It is the task of scientists, not us
encyclopedists to deal with that.

-- Cimon Avaro on a pogostick

P.S. This is my first post on the mailing-list. May it reach you all safely.