[WikiEN-l] More license stuff - Edmonton Sun

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Wed Jul 9 15:10:25 UTC 2003

Stan Shebs wrote:
> >one of our pages.  See http://cgi.canoe.ca/Columnists/diotte_jul7.html,

> That's a pretty small excerpt, looks like fair use to me.  It's
> not in Wikipedia's interest to get so prickly that reporters and
> writers deliberately avoid quoting it - or worse, that newspapers'
> and publishers' legal departments order their employees to stay
> away from Wikipedia altogether because they're tired of dealing
> with accusations of GFDL violations.

I agree with Stan 100% here.  What we want to watch out for are people
who are not engaging in fair use of our material, particularly those
with spammish sites, or those which appear to be attempting a
proprietary fork, and so on.

For the most part, we can take a relaxed approach to this sort of
thing.  We want people to know about us, we want people to take our
gift to humanity and use it well.

--Jimbo