[WikiEN-l] questioning false copyright claims

koyaanis qatsi obchodnakorze at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 18:02:41 UTC 2003

do we have a boilerplate asking about what we believe
to be false copyright claims?  I ask because a few
weeks ago I visited the site of a university hosting
pictures from the late 1800s and claiming copyright on
them.

As far as I know, simply scanning an image in does
*not* constitute creative input, and does not make the
photo a derivative work eligible for copyright.  I'd
like to go about asking several sites to clarify their
copyright claims, but when I first see something I
strongly suspect to be false and/or greedy, I turn
green and say things like "arrrrgh! smash!"

How should be go about phrasing the question, or has
it been done already?

Thanks,

kq