[WikiEN-l] Ideas on a methodology

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Tue Jul 8 17:38:47 UTC 2003

Toby Bartels wrote:
> This suggests that GNU would be happy
> with our using the name "GNUpedia" --
> and other comments by Jimmy suggest the same.
> It seems that there are /Wikipedians/, however,
> who aren't so happy with such a relationship.

Actually, I'm one of them.  The GNU people have their own agenda, and
we have ours.  They quite happily overlap a lot, but we aren't in any
sense at all a sub-project of GNU, and so we shouldn't adopt their
name.

Another factor here is that the GNU people prefer people to say
GNU/Linux rather than just Linux, and the reason is that a huge
proportion of the code in Linux, esp. for utilities that are not in
the kernel itself, is GNU/FSF code.

There's no parallel here.  Almost everything in wikipedia is native
wikipedian.  And the GNU/FSF people have contributed nothing directly,
other than the license and of course the genius concept in the first
place.  :-)

--Jimbo