[WikiEN-l] Ideas on a methodology

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Mon Jul 7 17:50:00 UTC 2003

Toby-
> Claudine Chionh wrote:

>> Just to throw something in to the discussion:
>> See <http://www.gnu.org/encyclopedia/>

> This suggests that GNU would be happy
> with our using the name "GNUpedia" --
> and other comments by Jimmy suggest the same.

Do they? Which comments are you referring to? Even so, Jimmy has already
said that he would prefer to use the name Nupedia for a separate sifter
project.

The GNU project is very fixated on use and abuse of the right and wrong
terms. See, e.g.,

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/linux-gnu-freedom.html

You're not supposed to say "Linux" (they tell you it's OK for the kernel,
but they also frequently object in that context), you're not supposed to
say "intellectual property", you're not supposed to say "open source".

If we call our sifter sister "Gnupedia" they will be constantly on our
back and watching that we don't do something that's not compatible with
the GNU way of life. Will Richard Stallman send us threatening mails to
withdraw his support and create

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gnupedia-is-not-free.html

if we continue to have the main article about "Linux" under the title
"Linux" and not "GNU/Linux", as he nowadays demands in virtually every
interview he gives?

Yes, I do anticipate that others will be uncomfortable with such a name,
but I'm uncomfortable with it myself.

Regards,

Erik