[WikiEN-l] NPOV example

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Thu Jul 3 14:08:03 UTC 2003

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_war_over_genetically_modified_food

In the revision of 7:53 2 Jul 2003, we read:
>Friedrich-Wilhelm Graefe zu Baringdorf (Grune party), Vicepresident
>of the Landwirtschaftsausschuss (committee of agriculture?) of the
>European Commission said on the 1.July.03: "In America 55% of the
>consumers are against GM food and 90% in favor of a clear
>labelling. The Bush government is ignoring the demand of his own
>people."

A little rough, but the point of view is attributed.  It's completely
uncontroversial, I suppose, that Graefe did say such a thing, and it's
just the sort of thing that we expect Green Party politicians to say.

But in revision 8:03 2 Jul 2003, we see this new line appear: "Also
American consumer demand that, but the Bush administration is ignoring
that fact."  That's written as an assertion _by Wikipedia_.

This is a blatantly political statement, and whether or not it is
actually true is irrelevant.  (I personally think it is preposterous,
but that's the nature of finding POV claims, I suppose -- the ones
that stick out for us are the ones that we find particularly silly.)

Citing a politician from the German Green Party saying such a thing is
wonderful.  The cite itself gives the reader sufficient context to
evaluate the claim, and in any event _Wikipedia_ is not making a
political claim at all.

It would likely be helpful to have a balancing quote from a scientist,
of course, but it isn't strictly speaking necessary.

What *is* necessary is that Wikipedia avoid making claims of this
sort.

--Jimbo