[WikiEN-l] Offensive Names - a Suggested Solution

Anthere anthere5 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 29 06:49:43 UTC 2003

--- james duffy <jtdirl at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Some people have suggested using real names for user
> names. I would oppose
> that as many people would feel uneasy using their
> real names and it might
> lead to some people deciding not to contribute
> anymore.  But there is a
> solution.
>
> «WHEN SOMEONE SIGNS UP, THEY ARE GREETED WITH THE
> FOLLOWING MESSAGE:«
>
> In using Wikipedia, you are requested to use a User
> ID. In chosing that ID,
> remember, people from many different cultures,
> traditions, faiths and
> countries use Wikipedia, as readers, contributors,
> or both. In an effort to
> avoid causing offence (however inadvertent) to
> people from diverse
> backgrounds you are asked in chosing your user ID to
> follow one simple rule:
>
> 1. No user ID is to be used that has a
> a) sexual
> b) religious
> c) cultural
> d) political
> meaning that could cause offence to other users of,
> and/or contributors to,
> Wikipedia.
>
> Options for User IDs include
> * any set of initials, eg RHK
> * numbers, eg 115, 8724
> * words or a combination of all three, eg,
> Mangus099, RHK115.
> It is up to you. Once you follow the simple rule of
> avoiding terms that
> might cause offence, you have absolute freedom to
> choose whatever
> combination you want.

Though I understand concerns about offensive names,
that whole conversation looks pretty aerial to me.
The very idea of asking people to register under their
real name is pretty bad, and I am sure many would quit
if it had to be so. Me first.
May I mention that this would have sense only if
identities were "checked" ? Social security number
maybe ? Id card ? Blood group ? Education background
next ?

Not only would I quit by myself, but I am actually in
that situation where my real name looks very much like
a slang word, which some of you might think offensive,
and others probably ridiculous. (French speaking only
of course, but though that conversation takes place on
the en.list, I gather it would be extended to the
whole wikipedia, otherwise it would not have sense).

I don't care for my name in real life, but I know what
I would write would "carry" a "sort of" stigmate. And
maybe some people would recommand me to go to change
my name to keep up with the serious image we are
supposed to display. Should I go to the civil office
then ?

As for recommandations to respect people faith,
religion...when picking up an IP, I would just add two
things

1) Offenses are perceived very differently depending
on culture, political stances.... 69 is barely a
number, but might be sexually offending, 1789 carry
political weight, white or black : are they just
colors....the list could be endless

2) If sexual orientations, political stances and
religious faiths could be first "tolerated" on
wikipedia, and editors reporting extremist views
"tolerated" (I am not even daring to say accepted) as
editors as well as the others, and respected as the
others are "requesting" to be themselves, I would be
much happier.
You are just considering a straw in your eye, when
some people are beaten with tree trunks everyday on
wikipedia. This is a matter of concern to me. Not
names.