[WikiEN-l] Distasteful names - CrucifiedChrist

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Wed Jan 29 00:00:37 UTC 2003

rednblack at alum.mit.edu wrote:
> Thoughts?

Well, most nicknames are just that, nicknames, and harmless.  And if
people want to be anonymous, that's fine with me.  None of my business
who anybody "really" is.  But nicknames with an agenda, especially an
agenda to offend, are not in the non-NPOV spirit.

Such things are great on sites where they belong.  I curse like a
sailor, in the proper context.  I'm not stranger to offensive humor,
either.  Get me on a roll, and I could have the Pope laughing at
pregnant Nun jokes.

But that's not the kind of environment we want in a serious encyclopedia
project.  We're doing something here more important than goofing around
on the net.

--Jimbo