[WikiEN-l] Why is 'CrucifiedChrist' less offensive than a pun on oral sex?

Zoe zoecomnena at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 28 23:45:10 UTC 2003

How can we really determine that the name is "unambiguous"ly
"offensive"?  Perhaps the person is a very religious Christian.
Zoe
 james duffy <jtdirl at hotmail.com> wrote:Brion,
I'm puzzled at your reply, particular about your 'effective opening
argument' comment. The loss of those pictures was a result of the use of a
clearly offensive name, CrucifiedChrist. But that name has already caused
offence to Wikipedia users and contributors. Yet you seem to be only
bothered by the loss of the pictures, and not by the unambiguous
offensiveness of the user nickname, which with a logic I cannot fathom, you
regard as a 'huge improvement'!!!

People who complained to me said they would not complain publicly because
their views would not be taken seriously. I've been sending messages back
telling people that it is OK to complain, that their views will be taken as
seriously, and they will be shown the same respect as everyone else. Your
continuing inability to see any problem with this nickname makes me think
that maybe they are right; that mocking their beliefs is OK, because
religious believers are perceived as second class citizens in terms of
causing offence. Poor and corny sexual puns are 'of course' offensive. But
mocking someone they regard as the Son of God isn't. Is this the latest
political correctness? As a non religious persion myself, I find your
attitude and complete inability to see the scale of the offence caused
puzzling, to put it at its politest. I thought pluralism is concerned with
showing similar respect to all sides equally. Or are religious
sensitivities, specifically sensitivities towards christians, less important
that other sensitivities, specifically ones to do with oral sex?

Please explain why causing offensive to religious people is a 'huge
improvement' on a pun on oral sex.

JT.