[WikiEN-l] we're slashdotted

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Fri Jan 24 09:52:16 UTC 2003

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 12:36:58AM -0800, Brion Vibber wrote:
>On ??a??, 2003-01-23 at 23:18, M Carling wrote:
>> On 23 Jan 2003, Brion Vibber wrote:
>> > I tried lifting the ban on updating view counters and the slow special
>> > pages and load ballooned up like a, well, a balloon. I put it back.
>>
>> Part of the problem might be MySQL.
>
>We've heard this song before, and it's never yet been followed by "and
>here's my patch which makes Wikipedia run on PostgreSQL, which I am an
>expert with and that's how I know it's so damn fast, and here are some
>precise and useful tips on optimising the setup and converting the
>database."

Don't get pissy, Brion.  mod_wiki is en route.  You won't see most of
the advantages of Postgres without redesigning the database schema to
take advantage of it.

>Apologies if I sound a little rude, but it does get a little frustrating
>after a few times. :)

Yes, but not as frustrating as trying to actually dive in and make such
a patch; the MySQLisms and the fact the SQL statements are created on
the fly instead of isolated into one easily modifiable file, the way the
Scoop codebase does, makes it very difficult.

>If you would like to try adapting the software to PostgreSQL, I'd *love*
>to see the results. Please sign up for the wikitech-l developers' list,
>and check our source out of CVS:

I agree; if you have the stamina for it, please provide a patch so we
can see how Postgres supports Wikipedia as it stands right now.
mod_wiki is a fourth generation thing, while the current codebase is
third generation.

Jonathan

--
                     Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   djw at reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2