[WikiEN-l] A mentor system

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Jan 20 12:09:11 UTC 2003

Zoe wrote:
> I think the mentoring idea smacks of elitism.  "We're better than
> you, and this is how you should do things."  Zoe

So?

What I mean is, we should always strive to be open to newcomers,
welcoming, friendly, helpful.  But we should also not lower our
standards out of a misguided fear of "elitism".  The fact is, some
contributors *are* better than others -- by a long shot -- and that we
can ease the 'learning curve' for our social mores if oldtimers aren't
afraid to explain and defend them.

There is a way that things should be done, and people who do them
correctly are better than people who don't.

--Jimbo