[WikiEN-l] 172 :-(

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Tue Jan 14 18:06:19 UTC 2003

Tom Parmenter wrote:
> I say this in all seriousness:  172 is forcing us to look at aspects
> of totalitarian regimes that we might otherwise miss.
>
> On the other hand, he apparently never saw a totalitarian regime he
> didn't like.  Not a "leftist" one anyway.

Delightful.  A general rule of thumb is that if people can tell
where I'm coming from, I'm not writing NPOV.

> And willfully and massively deleting other people's changes to "his"
> articles changes without notice or discussion is inexcusable.  As is
> his rudeness to Zoe.

Yes, this is unacceptable.

> I wonder if he is salvageable, given my first observation.  Stalin did
> modernize Russia, and it's worth knowing, but only at the cost of
> millions of lives, also worth knowing, and more important.  Ideally,
> someone like 172 says the first thing and someone like me says the
> second and we end up with an NPOV article.  172 rarely plays that way,
> however.

And even that way of playing is misdirected, I think.  We should all
try to write for both sides as much as we can, rather than "competing"
away our biases.  If you see what I mean.

And if someone won't even play *that way*, well, forget it.

Can someone persuade 172 to come chat here?