[WikiEN-l] on why I am changing my name

Tucci tucci528 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 17 06:44:25 UTC 2003

I am posting this to explain why I am changing my user
name from Tokerboy to TUF-KAT.  I was asked via e-mail
if, as a completely voluntary request, I would
consider changing my name.  I had already decided to
do so, of my own volition, if somebody asked.

I would be lying if I said I didn't choose this name
partially out of a desire to ruffle certain feathers.
However unjust it is, such a name will be perceived as
unprofessional by academics and reporters and other
people whom Wikipedia should want to impress with its
professionalism.  In my daily life, I do not hide the
fact that I smoke weed on a daily basis because I
regard it as my inalienable right that no law can
supersede, and because without it I have no doubt that
I would be either dead or homeless and alcoholic right
now.  I have experienced discrimination as a result; I
find this deplorable, but I am willing to accept it in
order to make those of my tastes gradually fit into
mainstream society.  I have the right to do this, to
bring discrimination upon myself, but I do not have
the right to force the same upon Ed Poor or Zoe or
Ortolan or RK or Mav or the anonymous users that
contribute to the Wikipedia, and by subjecting the
project to unfair discrimination, I am doing just
that.  The best way to accomplish my goal is to write
neutral, concise and informative articles at
[[cannabis]], [[medical marijuana]] and the [[War on
Drugs]], and, if Wikipedia is perceived as
professional, the information therein will be trusted
and the truth, that marijuana and all drugs should be
legalized, will prevail, as the truth always does.

In conclusion, I am offering a prize of 3.5 points
added to your [[Coolness Quotient]] if you can guess
why I chose TUF-KAT and I hope that this decision will
not raise a ruckus, a brouhaha nor shenanigans of any
sort.  I do this of my own volition, because it is the
right thing to do.